Thursday, October 20, 2011

Q and A with Big West Athlete of the Week : Rosa Del Toro

Last Saturday, senior cross country runner Rosa Del Toro broke the school record for the 5K, with a time of 17:09.8 at the Bronco Invitational in Santa Clara. A few days ago, the conference announced that Del Toro had been selected for Athlete of the Week.

Q: What were some of your general goals and/or expectations coming into this season?
                       
A: I had and still several goals this season that I want to accomplish.  My main goal is always to improve and have a better cross country season than I did last year.  My main goal this season is to make it to nationals, it’s going to be hard but nothing ever comes easy.  

Q: How do you think you've grown and improved since last year not only as an athlete but as a person?
           
A: I think that I've grown so much from last year both as an athlete and as a person.  As an athlete I have gained so much experience and learned from it every step of the way.  Running has helped me personally in way which it has made me a stronger person, and much more determined and hard working person.  The fact that I know I need to work hard to improve in running helps me see things outside of running in that same way, that I always have to work hard and be determined to get far in life. 

Q: Describe your initial feelings once you learned about setting the school record, and explain what it means to you
           
A: I was pretty surprised when I found out that I had set a school record.  But, all that was running through my mind was that I still need to improve, and I definitely have room for improvement just like everyone else. But, it definitely was an important stepping stone for how well I needed to do at the Big west Conference Championships. 

Q: What are some of your goals to finish out the conference and regional championships?
           
A: At conference my main goals was just to improve and place higher than 9th which is what I had placed last season.  Winning conference was something that my teammates and coach believed I could do and thanks to their support I was able to win conference.  For the regional championships I definitely have high goals, the competition is amazing and I am excited to work hard and place high in order to make it to nationals. Regional’s is the race I have been training for all season.

No comments:

Post a Comment