Monday, November 7, 2011

Q and A Pt. II with Rosa Del Toro


After setting a school record in the 5K in her previous race, senior Cross Country athlete Rosa Del Toro capped off her historic season by becoming the first CSULB female to win an individual Cross Country conference championship. She did so in record-setting fashion as she once again set another school record, this time in the 6K with a time of 20:27.0.

Del Toro led her team to its highest finish ever in the conference championship, second place. For her efforts, she was also named Big West Conference Athlete of the Year. All in all it was a memorable season for Del Toro and the 49ers. Here's part two of a Q and A with the Cross Country star.

Q: On the day of the race, can you describe what emotions you were feeling and also explain the mood of the team during that morning.

A: Before the race I was mostly excited to just be there and excited to be able to race and do what I love to do. I was a bit nervous right before the race started but not as nervous as I have been for other races.  I was also trying to stay focused and keep myself pumped up for the race as well.  The team was focused and at the same time we were all trying to keep each other from being too nervous. The team atmosphere was definitely positive which helped keep all of us ready to just race. 

Q: Once the championship was finally underway, can you describe the intensity of it all, was there a definite boost not only from yourself but from the other runners?
A: Championship races are always extremely intense, which is something I love. Once the race started my focus was on the front runners and how they were going to start off the race whether it was going to be a fast first mile or a slow first mile. The first mile was where all of the front runners were all very close together in a pack which made the intensity much higher for a lot of people but for me it helped me think through what I had to do later on in the race and see how tired some of the front runners were.  

Q: What was the turning point in the race, when did you make your decisive move and was it the most difficult race in general that you've been in?

A: There were two different shifts that I had to make during the race. After the second mile I tried to push the pace in the front pack which is when it was just one other runner and I but the biggest shift and turning point of the race was definitely right after the three mile marker.  Right before the three mile marker I was neck and neck with another runner and at that point what went through my mind was I want this more than anyone and I am willing to work as hard as I have to, to get it.  So, as soon as we hit the three mile marker I pushed the pace and ran hard all the way to the finish line. This wasn't exactly a physically difficult race but more of a difficult mental race. I had to keep myself positive mentally because I knew that physically I am in shape to run well but, the mental aspect of the race was definitely the toughest part. 

Q: Describe your initial feelings when you were the first to cross the finish line, and just knowing that your training had paid off again this time on such a big stage.
A: I was excited and happy and at the same time in disbelief.  I just couldn't believe it! The first thing that I did was cry, happy tears of course. I definitely was happy that all the hard work and mileage that I had put in all summer and season had paid off. 

Q: Being the first to win an individual conference championship, as well as being named women's conference athlete of the year, where do these accomplishments rank in terms of life accomplishments? And can you explain exactly what they mean to you?
A: These accomplishments mean a lot to me. Running is a big part of my life and being able to do the things I've done with running like winning conference and being conference athlete of the year makes me want to keep working hard. But at the same time I don't run to be recognized for what I do but just because I love the sport and being recognized is just a plus. These two accomplishments are important to me mostly because I get to represent Long Beach State.

Q: Sum up the season and your experience with your teammates.
A: This season has been the most amazing season I have ever had.  I have worked so hard and had great outcomes because of my hard work.  Also in all honesty this team has been the best team I have ever been on, my teammates are always positive and supportive, which makes it even harder to think that this is my last year here on the team. As far as my coaches go I never been happier to have such great coaches that believe in me and push me to do better every time. Overall so far this year has been the best experience I have ever had. 

Q: Now that conference play has concluded, what have you shifted your attention to and what are your new goals?
A: The second that conference was over I shifted my attention to Regionals.  That's been the race I have been working so hard for. I have had my focus on making it to nationals. I know it's not going to be easy but that’s what makes it that much better, the fact that I have to keep working hard to reach that goal. And I definitely want to run a faster time in the 6k. I can honestly say always want to keep improving and run faster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment